The Government Technology Agency of Singapore (GovTech) announced today that it will be phasing out the SingPass physical security token by March 31 next year due to “low usage.”

The OneKey tokens will not be issued or replaced from October 1, and users will no longer be able to use it to access digital services from April 1 next year.

Currently, the OneKey token is used to allow users to log in securely to SingPass but many are adopting other secure methods of access.

While the token key gets phased out, the SingPass mobile app has seen great traction, drawing over one million users to date.

Over 98 per cent of all login methods are done through the app or through SMS authentication, and the remaining 2 per cent used the token.

Why You Should Download The SingPass App

With the phase-out, GovTech urges users to set up their SingPass mobile app if they haven’t already done so. Those who need further assistance can visit any of the 46 SingPass counters islandwide.

It also said that it will be working closely with the Infocomm Media Development Authority (IMDA) and People’s Association to help Singaporeans during the transition.

Singaporeans can sign up for classes conducted at selected community clubs or centres and IMDA’s Silver Infocomm Junctions to learn how to use the SingPass mobile app.

Launched in October 2018, the SingPass app uses fingerprint, face recognition or a six-digit passcode as part of a two-factor authentication.

It then grants you access to government digital services from over 60 agencies as well as selected private sector services such as NTUC Income, NTUC U, AIA, Manulife, Prudential, and the grants portal on the Singapore National Employers Federation website.

More private sector organisations will be using the SingPass mobile app login in the coming year.

Singapore citizens with phones that cannot download apps can still set up SingPass and use SMS as a two-factor authentication to continue accessing online services.

“We are encouraged by the strong support so far and will do more to promote the use of the app, so that more users can transact online with the Government and the private sector easily and conveniently,” said GovTech chief executive Kok Ping Soon.

“We will also work with our partner agencies to help more citizens learn how to use SingPass Mobile, and continue to find new solutions which ensure security and convenience for our citizens.”

Featured Image Credit: Deekay Dot SG

The post PSA: SingPass Physical Tokens Will Be Phased Out By 31 March 2021 appeared first on Vulcan Post.